Friday, July 20, 2012

20 days & Cerebral Palsy

My sweet baby girl, Avery, has been home with us now for 20 whole days. Twenty! That seems like so little compared to how long it feels like she has been home. It seems like we have always had to carry around oxygen tanks, and watch for wires and tubes. The way it was, just 21 days ago, seems almost nonexistent.

So here we are, just 9 days away from her 5 month birthday, and all is relatively well. She is 7 pounds 2 oz completely dressed, complete with her cloth diaper and everything. She loves riding in the car, being snuggled, and staring at the fan in our living room. The boys are just so in love with her. "Mom, she's holding my hand, quick! take a picture!!" This was said today by my 7 year old, who was singing her a song this morning. They seem to be amazed at every little thing she does, which at this point is not much, and frankly....so am I.



Yesterday, while I was changing her, I noticed a blue lump on her chest. I had not seen anything like this on her before, so it concerned us. I ended up taking her into the hospital, just to be sure it was nothing serious. The doctor said he was glad I brought her in, because it can end up being serious, but thankfully hers was not serious. It turns out she has a cyst. She had an ultrasound done to rule out any dangers, and we are so grateful that it was just a random cyst, that was not connected to her heart in any way. We are watching it closely now, and if anything changes, we will have to have it surgically removed.



Today, as I was listening to music, I watched my 16 month old wiggle on the floor to the snappy tunes. As I was watching him, I started to think about his future, and what might come for my sweet boy. A boy who was born dead, who coded several times during his NICU stay. A baby who was not supposed to be here. Would cerebral palsy hold him back from anything we have dreamed of him? Will he learn to cope and manage with his disability, and continue on to do amazing things with his life? Of course, all of this is unknown, until he is older and we learn more about his abilities. I am just so proud of him, and my heart shines knowing that he is the happiest baby I have ever met.



As Memphis grows and gets older, his strength continues to grow. I find him wanting to do much more than he is able to do. At 16 months old he isn't too far behind other preemies, or children his age, but his ability to control his motions, to do the things he longs to do, are just not there yet. Time will tell, and I have no doubt in my mind that he will prove us all wrong, just as he has done his entire life.



These are two amazing kids.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your little one coming home. You have a beautiful family

    ReplyDelete