Monday, August 13, 2012

Playing dress up.

When I went in for one of my ultrasounds, and was told that I might be having a girl, I didn't believe it. I was so sure that we would be welcoming our 7th little boy into the family, that he was already named, and called 'Him' through the pregnancy. Another ultrasound came, and went, and we were told the same thing. "It's looking pretty girly" is what the tech had told me. Still, I did not believe it. Baby had been measuring small and less developed, and I was certain that at some point, baby would sprout his boy parts and I would be right.



I was wrong.

Even after she was born, I waited for them to tell me that they made a mistake, and that I was really just having a boy, who was underdeveloped, and was just not ready to show the goods. I changed girly diapers, and looked through dresses at the stores, and it still did not feel real. A part of me was sad, because I had big hopes and dreams of that little boy I was so sure I was carrying inside me. But I was so in love with this baby girl, who was just the size of my already small hand. She opened up a whole new door for me, as a mother, and I am grateful for her.



It took me a while to come around, and my first few trips to the store for girl clothes left me empty handed. I did not care for the girl clothes, and could only find things I liked in the boy section. Of course, girls can wear gender neutral clothes, and boy clothes, if the parent wishes...but I had just given birth to my first and only girl, after 6 boys. We were going to need some pink!



Eventually I got over the 'fear' of something new, and started shopping for my daughter. I started figuring out what I liked, and what I didn't like, and what I wanted for my daughter. Eventually her things started to come into the house, and amongst all of the blue, and green, and yellow...there was little bits of pink and purple.



If you would have asked me during my pregnancy what I would have thought about the possibility of having a girl, I would have told you 'No, way! I am a BOY mama!" and I totally was. Was. Now...now I am enjoying the ruffles and pink, and knitting up girly dresses. Now, I am loving the new experience of having a daughter, and all that it brings.



I look forward to watching her grow into a lovely little young lady, and watch our relationship blossom into something special. Something only a mother and daughter can have.

5 comments:

  1. I have a preemie son and i love looking at her new photos. For us as mom's, i didn't always notice my preemie was growing and changing but i love seeing it on someone else. I pray she doesnt have the issues my son does and grows up big and strong. Please keep posting pictures on her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a beautiful little girl! You and Molly Weasley have something in common: six boys, then a baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is Molly Weasley? Does she have a blog?

    Thank you both, for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. always enjoying her pics. and now reading about her make me feel so intouch with you. it is funny how preemie moms feel that connection like we belong to an elite club. God bless your little one... and all your other little ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'm way late commenting here, but I was just looking back through some of your posts. You have a beautiful family, and you're daughter is adorable!

    P.S. Molly Weasley is a character in the Harry Potter series. I don't know if you've ever seen the movies, but she's Ron's mom.

    ReplyDelete